Saturday, June 19, 2010

Dear Friends and Family:

I trust you all have had a good week.  Althought it's late and I'm extremely tired, I knew if I didn't blog now on an Emory update, I wouldn't get it done over the weeekend.  Plus, I'm waiting for him to settle in for the next few hours of hopefully peaceful sleep.

Today was another day spent at doctor appointments.  We started the day off with Emory getting his 6 week shots and then followed it up with them drawing blood to recheck his calcium levels.  We should find out what those levels are around Wednesday of next week.  He has gained a few ounces within the week but should probably be gaining more.  So, the pediatrician wants us to feed him more at each feeding time.  However, his reflux seems to have gotten worse and he doesn't seem to be keeping as much down.  In addition to that, after he spits up so much, it's hard to know how much of his medicine he actually absorbed.  So, it's just one big vicious cycle.  He currently is on 5 medications, one of which is for the reflux.  The pediatrician said that he should outgrow it and that it's perfectly normal for preemies.

Our schedule is getting somewhat better.  I did get to sleep one night this week thanks to my husband getting up with Emory.  We basically do the last feeding at 12:00 a.m. or a few minutes after and then wait and see how long he will sleep.  However, as a result of what he became used to from the NICU, he still wakes up every 3 hours in the night to eat.  So, we usually end up feeding  him around 3:30 and 6:30 a.m.   Our days and activities just run together.  I have been trying to run any errands we have during nap time while Claude is here with the boys.  So far, that has worked really well. 

Tonight we went out for some dinner and I had to get some groceries as well.  So, the five of us ventured our way through Kroger.  It was quite funny.  Of course, I got home and realized about 5 things I forgot.......I just can't think straight with all the kids with me.  Claude pushed the buggy with all the boys and I pushed the buggy with the groceries.  It really was cute and Emmitt and Eli loved it.  Outside of doctor appointments and church, that was our first "public" outing with Emory.  We will limit those though due to his condition.  In fact, I am going to put a sign on his car seat, stroller, etc. asking people not to touch him.  So, if you see the sign, please don't be offended but understand that we can't be too careful with Emory and his chance of getting sick.

Although I could type many details of things we did this week, I'm just going to focus on the highlights.  One of those highlights this week was that we were able to visit the NICU nurses and take them some food trays in order to thank them for all they did for Emory.  Thank you to Doug Barnett for your help with this.  I think the nurses really enjoyed their "dinner" for that night.

One last thing.....if you send us an email, fb message, or voice mail and don't get a quick response, please don't be offended.  Just know that we appreciate all the thoughts, prayers, encouragement, etc. and will be in touch just as soon as possible.  Well, I must go for now......the eyelids are closing......I'll type more tomorrow as it comes to mind.  Have a great weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment